Skip to main content

Nightstand Regulars

What books would I recommend any season to a homeschool parent? I would usually throw in my highly recommended best-selling books from the positive parenting department.
Because, like I always say, as many homeschool parents do, homeschooling is an extension of parenting. One is never alone in thinking that the job is hard! Homeschooling is doubly challenging when one is struggling with connecting with her child. Though these books contributed to my growth, I still felt lacking. The satisfaction that I needed, book-wise, only came from reads that include Christ, the teachings of the Church, and the friendship of the Saints in the picture (or from books with devout Catholic authors). Think FULLNESS.

And so, may I present the books that I have come to cherish, which I hope will also make it to your nightstand, be sources of wisdom and inspiration, companions to accompany you in this precious journey.

PARENTING FOR ETERNITY by Connor Gallagher. Nothing like knowing the point of it all. There's a reason why this is at the top of the list.

PARENTING FOR CHARACTER by Andrew Mullins. Digest as much as possible for the sake of happy, virtuous children, and healthy relationships. Character is the best equipment.

TEACHING FROM REST by Sarah MacKenzie. Bring your loaves of bread, and be at peace knowing that you are there, too, when the multiplication happens.

A LITTLE WAY OF HOMESCHOOLING by Suzie Andres. Unschooling might be at the opposite end from where you are on the spectrum, but the essence behind the philosophy will stay with you, and that says something about why it's worth digging into.

BETTER TOGETHER by Pam Barnhill. Morning Time is an ingredient I add to our homeschool days for more fun and wonder. In other words, a life-saver (at least it is for me).

THE CATHOLIC ALL YEAR COMPENDIUM, and THE CATHOLIC ALL YEAR PRAYER COMPANION by Kendra Tierney. How enriching, Grace- and mercy-filled are days lived prayerfully, and with thanksgiving.

A LANDSCAPE WITH DRAGONS by Michael O'Brien. A book on books, and learning how to discern them. One can be sure the children are safe with the booklist included.

WHY WE'RE CATHOLIC by Trent Horn. If faith and the "hope that lies within us" are foundational to life, then let us defend our loftiest beliefs from our very own clouds of doubt.

Though the authors are contemporaries (vs. classics), their contributions in the Catholic, homeschool, parenting, and literary worlds could not be ignored, if not tremendous enough. I hope they make a difference in your lives as they did in mine.

Comments